Friday, January 29, 2010

The Long Gym Day

Today was my long gym day. I got off work at 7am, got to the gym by 8am. Did run-walk intervals for 30 minutes (2.39 miles) with 25 minutes of running and 5 minutes of walking.

I stayed for Zumba with the high-impact teacher. My calves were burning, but dancing to the Latin music was fun, despite being out of breath. Then, I took the half-hour core strengthening class followed by the hour-long muscle challenge class. 3 hrs and 15 minutes of consecutive exercise!

I found myself having trouble getting through through multiple sets of planks, lunges, or boy pushups without stopping or modifying. But, I'm happy to report that my abs and obliques are surprisingly strong (especially after my hernia doc told me my rectus muscles would never come back post-pregnancy), as is my upper body and back.

My muscle challenge teacher really pushed us. I typically like to weight-lift when I want to get strong without breaking a sweat or jumping all over the place. She had us lunging while doing bicep curls, squatting during our "breaks," alternating between abs and pushups multiple times ("roll over!"), all at a fast pace. She was no joke. It felt like bootcamp -- with a yoga mat, 4 hand weights, a water bottle and a towel.

I'm sure I'll be stronger for it come Monday.

2 comments: