Sunday, March 21, 2010

A Run Like Nun Other: Race & Trip Report (day 1)

So I did it! I had my first 5K. Zia, Rashonda and I landed in Phoenix Friday night. That's me waiting for Zia's flight to land...
We dined at the hotel and got up early early this morning to run in the 1st Annual Nun Run in Glendale, AZ.
I ran the 5K in 30:56, placing 15 out of 63 in the 20-29 female age group and 103 out of 490 overall.

It was so crazy... my adrenaline was pumping, and I just kept focusing on not going too fast so I didn't burn myself out.

Mile 1 felt good. We started in the middle of the pack, and I slowly passed a few people, but in general, I stayed steady. When I saw the folks in orange with the water cups, they were shouting, "You're at mile 1. Great job!" I looked at my watch and was shocked. It said 9:49. Are you kidding me? I've never run more than 10:42 on the treadmill and that wasn't on trail, nor the uneven rocks we were running on. Not to mention, 10 weeks ago, I could barely do my 1 minute run, 1 minute walk intervals without getting out of breath.

Mile 2 was okay. The first half, I was still buzzing off the fact that I ran under 10 minutes for the first mile. About halfway through, I started to feel a little winded, so I slowed down a bit and just focused on maintaining that speed. I got to the mile 2 water cup holders feeling just slightly winded. My watch read 20:13.

Mile 3 was rough. My left thigh started to ache, and I started to feel more winded. I made a deal with myself that I could run slow until 26 minutes, then I had to pick it up. I actually ended up picking up the speed once I could see the finish line, just before 3 miles. The next thing I knew, I was running through the finish line, and people were telling me where the food was and asking me for my chip.

My watch said 30:45, but my chip time was 30:56. Still not bad for my first race. It means I ran 9:59/mile.

We finished up the day with a nice brunch complete with unlimited mimosas and 4 hours of spa services.

8 comments:

  1. mimosas and spa services?!!! I wanna go on your next gals race getaway;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great! Mimosas and spa services should be required after every race :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the pic of you guys at the table. I'm so proud of you!! Keep it coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. congratulations!! oustanding Great way to celebrate after

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done!!! You did it. You got the first race under your belt. Keep working it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did Awesome!! And what a way to celebrate after, I need to start doing that!

    ReplyDelete