1. Sneakers make a difference. My old workout sneaks gave me shin cramps. In my Dr. Scholl's work sneakers, I run like a pro (or something like that).
2. When I overheat, I don't run as well. More importantly, I overheat when I run inside on the treadmill, and my heart rate shoots up to the high 180s. Outside in 40-degree weather, it's 140s-160s max.
3. Slow and steady wins the race. When I started the run-walk intervals, I tried to run at a 10 minute/mile pace and I was barely finishing the assigned intervals. Now, I run slower (11:30/mile), but I'm able to increase my distance daily.
4. Warming up = Finishing. The days I rush into running without a good 10-minute walking warm-up, I'm usually sorry.
5. Running in place isn't for me. My best times (on the clock) and my best times (as in, enjoyable) are when I'm running outside. Can't wait for Spring.
6. Music is not enough to distract me from watching the treadmill clock. I need to get drawn into a dialogue, like on television. I'm gonna try audiobooks when I run outside.
7. I am an afternoon worker-outer. Despite the warnings that working out at night will keep you from falling asleep, I snooze just fine. I also run the best in the evening.
8. When I wear frumpy gym clothes, it affects my drive. If I can see the muscles developing in my arms or calves, it makes me push harder than if they're hidden or I'm wearing an outfit that makes me look heavy.
9. Treat my medical ailments. Now that I am adequately treating my allergies and asthma lately, it is much easier for me to withstand long-term cardio activities.
10. Respect the Process. I'm an all or nothing type of person, so a part of me wants to just go outside and run 3 miles, but that's also how I tend to get injured or lose motivation. I am respecting this incremental progress and watching my body change and strengthen week-by-week. Even with my ankle, I have to learn to respect the healing process, and get back out there as soon as I'm ready -- not before.
Net Carbs: 45 grams yesterday (had an emotionally-snacky day), 10 grams so far today.
Days 'Til 5K: 41
Workout: Still on break for the left ankle injury. 6EF57M4BQ49P