Friday, May 21, 2010

4-miler: the good, the bad, and the ugly


I broke away from the treadmill today, and ran outside.

After spending an unusual day at work in the operating room all day, I pulled off onto a side road in New Haven, changed into my running gear in the car (yes, in broad daylight -- I have skills!), and proceeded to run a 2-mile route out and back in 43:03. Slow, I know.

The GOOD
- I finished the 4 miles alive.
- I got a second wind during the last 2 miles that made the run feel easy.
- Funny comment from random guy: "I can do that!" Me: "Well, come on then!" Random guy stayed put and laughed.
- Smiling at fellow runners along the same street, especially when running on the treadmill gets so lonely.
- 4.07 miles is the farthest I've ever run. Today's run beat out my previous one-and-only 4-miler.

The BAD
- I had to pee from the start of the run.
- I don't know where my ipod is, so I ran to the sounds of nature.
- I didn't warmup beforehand.
- I haven't trained on hills yet, and there were a few mini-hills along this road.
- My right knee started to ache during the last mile.

The UGLY
- When I finished, my elbow creases were pale from being moist and bent the whole run.
- I started out way too fast and by 1/10th of a mile, I was already winded.
- The first 2 miles I really didn't think I was going to make it between feeling winded and having to pee. Not to mention, my limbs felt like they were moving in slow-mo (at a 10:30/minute pace, they were!)

Now it's time for a nice long soak.

No comments:

Post a Comment