Monday, October 14, 2013

First week recap: 10/4-10/12


I did it!

What did I do exactly? I made it through an entire week of running/walking without knee pain (all treadmill runs). In fact, I ran/walked 1.91 miles on Saturday -- the longest without pain in years.

I followed the first week of Couch 2 5K to the "T," with the goal of going slower in order to build up the knee before pushing myself too much.


Well, by week 2 of the plan (which still technically fell within a week of my start date), it felt a little and a lot like remedial math and I was starting to get a little bored and a little antsy ("Put me in the game, coach!"). So, Princess Knee and I decided to go off-C25K just a bit.

The first day, I had to shave down the 5-minute warmup and 5-minute cooldown in order to make it to work on time.

The second, I did the required 90-minute run then walk, 3-minute run then walk, but the walking breaks were too long and I wasn't getting in enough mileage, so I shortened it to 3-minute run/1-minute walk until the time was up.

The third, I just went straight for 3-minute run/1-minute walk... why waste time, right? I also increased my speed on this run to a 12-minute mile on the treadmill. This, after Mr. Bootcamp Guy destroyed my confidence with his ridiculously tough conditioning class.

Totals for this week:
8.38 miles of run-walk drills over 2 hours 38 minutes
4 hours of barbell class and strength conditioning


No comments:

Post a Comment